Are you tired of the greed and commercialism that has stores with holiday decorations on display in October? Ready to makes some changes in the way you celebrate to make your holidays more meaningful?
Here’s a list of ways to give that shun the commercialism and money culture and do some real good in the world. You and your partner can team up together to give outside the box.
- Host a holiday party that requires a food donation to attend then take that food to the local food bank
- Take some time to go to the local animal shelter and bring some pet food donations, towels, toys and blankets for the pets. Walk some dogs and pet some cats
- Adopt a family through a local service organization and spend some of your time helping them have a happy holiday
- Go to a local nursing home and spend some time visiting with lonely seniors
- Buy toys for kids and donate to a toy drive that helps underprivileged kids
- Buy coats and winter warm clothes for foster kids in your area
- Volunteer to serve at a mission or soup kitchen that helps the homeless and veterans
There are probably a hundred more volunteer opportunities in your local area. These are but a few suggestions. The point is to make this holiday season less about you and what you are getting and more about what you can give. We all have something to give. Time, energy, money or goods. Giving outside the box is a way to show gratitude for your own good fortune in life. Happy Holidays from The Couples Experts.